Walthamstow School for Girls is a single sex girls' secondary school situated in Walthamstow, east London, England. It currently educates 900 girls between the ages of 11-16. The school holds specialist Mathematics and Computing College status.
Locally the school is known as 'Green School'. This is due to the green uniform. It is near Walthamstow Central and the Prime Meridian.
It was known as Walthamstow County High School for Girls. It opened in 1890 as a private school on West Avenue, then moved to Church Hill. In 1911, the school was run by Essex County Council. It became a girls' grammar school. The male equivalent was the Sir George Monoux Grammar School. After the London Borough of Waltham Forest was formed in 1965, comprehensive education was introduced in 1968.
Walthamstow School for Girls divides the management and delivery of teaching and learning into faculties. The current Headmistress is Ms. Meryl Davies. The school is otherwise known as the "Green School" due to its recognisable bottle-green uniform.
The subjects are English, Maths, ICT(Information and communication technology,) Humanities(Geography, history and R.E,)Science, BLP(Building learning power,)Food Studies, PSHE(personal, social and health education,)Textiles,CDT, Drama, Music, P.E, Art, MFL(French, Spanish and Urdu) and Citizenship.
Walthamstow School For Girls received outstanding Ofsted reports. It gets excellent GCSE results, the best not only in Walthamstow but in the whole Waltham Forest borough,including cross country outstanding results
Its grounds host a Greek Theatre which was built in 1926 and has since played a part in school life, hosting plays and music concerts. Recently, in 2006, there were celebrations at the school to celebrate 50 years.
School Lanyard System
Each year group is assigned a lanyard when they start. The colours are as follows: White, Yellow, Orange, Blue and Black. Also, teachers wear red lanyards.