Search: in
Monok
Monok in Encyclopedia Encyclopedia
  Tutorials     Encyclopedia     Videos     Books     Software     DVDs  
       





Monok

Monok is a village in Borsod-Aba j-Zempl n, Hungary and is part of the Tokaj wine region.

Contents


Geography

The nearest town is Szerencs away. Neighbouring villages are Golop away, Legyesb nye away and T llya away.

The Zempl n Mountains have two sides: on the north Vilvit ny Hill, on the south Szerencs Hill. The village lies in the valley between the two.

Although the north is mountainous the south is lower lying at around . On the north and south slopes there are fields and vineyards whose wines compete with those from Tokaj, and the fields bordering the vineyards offer a beautiful view of the Tatra Mountains.

History

It is not certain when the village was established, but it was some time during the Mongol invasion of Europe, or the earlier Hungarian invasion ().

The first record of the village is in 1392 and the Monaky family owned it in the 13th century . The name of the village comes from Slavic monoh meaning "monk". During the Ottoman Empire the village was razed and in 1567 it was recorded as being just barren fields. Towards the end of this century the village was reinhabited and around 1570 a small castle was built in the Renaissance style. Later, the village was owned by the Andr ssy family who renovated the castle, but because it was too small they built another nearby in the Classical style.

Ethnicity

93% of the population is Hungarian, with the remaining 7% being of Romany origin.[1]

Traditions

  • Monok holds a summer fair on the second Sunday of every September called fair, to which people from far and wide make a pilgrimage.
  • Each August the renovated Monaky Castle holds a "Renaissance Castle Day", when people wear period dress and perform archery and stage marionette shows. There is also a market and a beer tent, which also serves cauldrons of goulash and soft drinks.

Landmarks

Andr ssy Castle

Famous people

  • Lajos Kossuth, leader of Hungary, was born in Monok on 19 September 1802
  • Mikl s N meth, Hungarian Prime Minister, was born in Monok on 24 January 1948

References

External links

de:Monok eo:Monok fr:Monok it:Monok hu:Monok ja: pl:Monok sk:Monok sl:Monok vi:Monok zh:






Source: Wikipedia | The above article is available under the GNU FDL. | Edit this article



Search for Monok in Tutorials
Search for Monok in Encyclopedia
Search for Monok in Videos
Search for Monok in Books
Search for Monok in Software
Search for Monok in DVDs
Search for Monok in Store




Advertisement




Monok in Encyclopedia
Monok top Monok

Home - Add TutorGig to Your Site - Disclaimer

©2011-2013 TutorGig.info All Rights Reserved. Privacy Statement