is a multinational electronics manufacturing company headquartered in Shibuya, Tokyo, Japan. Its products include calculators, mobile phones, cameras, musical instruments and watches. It was founded in 1946, and in 1957 released the world's first entirely electric compact calculator.
Shibuya]], Tokyo Casio was established in April 1946 by Tadao Kashio, an engineer specializing in fabrication technology. Kashio's first major product was the yubiwa pipe, a finger ring that would hold a cigarette, allowing the wearer to smoke the cigarette down to its nub while also leaving the wearer's hands free. Japan was impoverished immediately following World War II so cigarettes were valuable, and the invention was a success.
After seeing the electric calculators at the first Business Show in Ginza, Tokyo in 1949, Kashio and his younger brothers used their profits from the yubiwa pipe to develop their own calculators. Most of the calculators at that time worked using gears and could be operated by hand using a crank or using a motor (see adding machine). Kashio possessed some knowledge of electronics, and set out to make a calculator using solenoids. The desk-sized calculator was finished in 1954 and was Japan's first electro-mechanical calculator. One of the central innovations of the calculator was its adoption of the 10-key number pad; at that time other calculators were using a "full keypad", which meant that each place in the number (1s, 10s, 100s, etc...) had nine keys. Another innovation was the use of a single display window instead of the three display windows (one for each argument and one for the answer) used in other calculators.
In 1957 Casio released the Model 14-A, sold for 485,000 yen, the world's first all-electric compact calculator, which was based on relay technology. 1957 also marked the establishment of Casio Computer Co. Ltd.
In the 1980s, its budget electronic instruments and home keyboards gained huge popularity. The company also became well known for the wide variety and innovation of its wristwatches. It was one of the earliest manufacturers of quartz crystal watches, both digital and analog. It also began selling calculator watches during this time. It was one of the first manufacturers of watches that could display the time in many different time zones and of watches with temperature, atmospheric-pressure, altitude, and even GPS position displays.
A number of notable digital cameras firsts have been made by Casio, including the first consumer digital camera with an LCD screen, the first consumer 3 megapixel camera, the first true ultra-compact model, and the first digital camera to incorporate ceramic lens technology.
Timeline of product releases
- 1957 Casio releases the Model 14-A, the world's first all-electric compact calculator.
- 1965 The 001 calculator is released.
- 1972 The release of Casio's personal calculator. The Casio "Mini" sells for 12,800 yen, going on to sell over 10 million units.
- 1974 The Casiotron, a watch that features a fully automatic calendar, including month lengths and leap years, is released.
- 1980 Casio releases its Casiotone keyboard instrument.
- 1983 The first G-Shock watch, the DW-5000C, is released.
- 1985 Casio launches its first professional synthesiser, the CZ-101.
- 1991 The F-91W digital watch, retro design with alarm and stopwatch, is released.
- 1995 The Illuminator/Foxfire backlight is released. The DW-5600E was announced as the first G-Shock watch with a full EL LCD panel.
- 1995 The QV-10, the world's first digital camera that includes a TFT display, is released.
- 2000 The WQV-1, the world's first wristwatch with digital camera is released.
- 2002 The EX-S1, the first Exilim digital camera is released.
- 2007 The OCW-S1000J, dubbed the Oceanus "Manta", is released, being the world's thinnest solar-powered chronograph at approx. 8.9 mm in thickness.
- 2011 Casio releases the Casio Prizm (fx-CG10/fx-CG20), a full-color graphing calculator.
Chronology of Selected Main Products
|Date of Launch (in Japan)
||All-electric compact calculator
||Electronic desktop calculator with onboard memory
||World's first desktop electronic calculator with program
||World's first personal calculator
||Personal scientific function calculator
||First electronic wristwatch
||Electronic musical instrument
||First electronic dictionary
||First digital diary
||First pocket LCD TV
||Credit card-size calculator
||Ultra-thin digital watch
||Electronic still camera
||Nameland label printer
||G-SHOCK for women
||Digital camera with LCD monitor
||Handheld PC with Windows CE (sales in North America)
||World's first wristwatch with GPS sensor
||Cellular phone with water and shock resistance
||World's first wristwatch with digital camera
||Radio controlled wristwatch powered by solar battery
||First EXILIM digital camera thinnest in the world (claimed)
||OCEANUS five-motor chronograph watch
||Slim solar-powered radio-controlled watch in full-metal case
||World's smallest and thinnest 10.1 megapixel digital camera
||Digital camera with world's fastest burst shooting performance
Casio's products include calculators, watches, cash registers, illuminators, digital cameras (Exilim Series), film cameras, laptop and sub-notebook computers, mobile phones, electronic keyboards, PDAs (E-Data Bank), electronic dictionaries, Digital Diaries, computer printers, clocks, and portable televisions.
Today, Casio is most commonly known for durable, large sized watches. Especially popular are its dual function (LCD and analog) watches, some of which, called Wave Ceptors, receive radio signals daily from an atomic clock to keep accurate time.
- Master of G
- Frogman(Shock Resist & ISO 200M Water Resist)
- Riseman(Shock Resist & Twin Sensor)
- Mudman(Shock Resist & Mud Resist)
- Gulfman(Shock Resist & Rust Resist)
- Smart Access Model
- Digtal Analog Combination
- Classic Line
- Ladies Line (Japan)
- Pro Trek ( Asia / Europe / Other Areas ) / Pathfinder ( USA / Canada )
- Sheen (Asia)
- Data Bank
- Wave Ceptor
- FX-9860G / GII / SD
- FX-9860G Slim
- ClassPad 300 Plus / 330
- Algebra FX 2.0 Plus
- FX 1.0 Plus
- CFX-9850GC Plus
- CFX-9850GB Plus
- FX-9750G Plus / GII
- FX-8500G, 8000G
- FX-7500G, 7400G Plus / GII
- VI-9850GB Plus
- RM 7000/9000
- FX-5800P, 3950P, 3650P, 50F PLUS, 50F
- FX-5500LA, 5500L
- FX-603P, 602P
- FX-502P, 501P
- FX-991ES+, 570ES+, 350ES+, 115ES+, 95ES+, 85ES+, 82ES+
- FX-991ES, 570ES, 115ES
- FX-500ES, 350ES, 300ES, 85ES, 82ES, 83ES
V.P.A.M. / S-V.P.A.M. / Two-line, Multi-replay
- FX-991MS, 570MS, 115MS, 912MS (Japan), 100MS, 85MS, 350MS, 82MS, 820MS, 95MS
- FX-82TL, 83W, 85W, 85WA, 300W, 350TL, 911W, 270W, 270W PLUS, 83WA
- FX-991W, 570W, 115W, 100W, 115WA
- FX-993S, 992S, 991S, 570S, 115S, 100S, 122S
- FX-65 (True fraction)
- FX-82B, 82SUPER, 250D, 82C, 82D, 82LB
- FX-82SX, 82 SOLAR
- FX-991D, 570D, 115D, 100D, 570AD, 570CD
- FX-2000, 2500
- FX-82, 82L
- FX-570, 100, 350, 77
- FX-992V, 992VB, 85V
- FX-180P, 390PV (Program)
- FX-4000P, 3500P, 3800P (Program)
- AQ-1000, 1500
VFD (Digitron) display
- FX-1, 10, 17, 19, 20, 21, 29, 39, 101
- FX-201P (Program)
- Desk calculator
- DM-1600S, 1400S, 1200MS; DF-120MS; DS-120TV; JF-120MS; JW-120MS; MW-8V, 5V
- Pocket calculator
- SL-450L; SL-760LB, 787TV (Card); HL-122TV
- LC-78, 78G (Card)
- Printing calculator
VFD (Digitron) / LED display
- Desktop calculator
- Pocket calculator
- AL-8, 8S; 803MR; CQ-1; J3; Mem8R; A1; M1; MINI
- EX-Series (Exilim)
Data and video projector
- PV-Series (Pocket Viewer)
- XJ-S (Super Slim-Projectors)
- POS systems
- Portable data terminals
- CD label printer
- Label printer
- Casio PD-Synthesizer, Casio CZ-Synthesizer
- Casio VL-1
- Electronic Musical Instruments
(Casiotone keyboards, Privia, Celviano, etc.)
- 6-2, Hon-machi 1-chome, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 151-8543, Japan
File:CASIO electronic dictionary EV-SP3900.jpg|Casio EV-SP3900 Electronic dictionary File:Cassiopeia 26d06.jpg| Cassiopeia PDA File:QV-10.jpg|QV-10 Digital camera File:Casio EX-S600 front.jpg|EX-S600 Digital camera File:Au W31CA CASIO gif-anime1.gif|Au W31CA Mobile phone File:CASIO.jpg|An old Casio calculator File:Casio-fx115ES-5564.jpg|Casio fx-115ES Scientific calculator with Natural Display File:Casio fx-7000G FullLength.JPG|Casio fx-7000G, the world's first graphing calculator File:FR-2650T.jpg| FR-2650T calcurator with printer for checkout CASIO NAME LAND KL-P7.JPG| NAME LAND KL-P7 File:Casio-FA11.jpg| PB-770 pocket computer, with FA-11 extension dock File:Casio Digital Diary SF-R20 open.JPG|SF-R20 Digital Diary (early PDA) File:Casio F-91W.jpg|Casio F-91W Digital watch File:DW-5600E.png|DW-5600E-1V A G-Shock watch with one of the first Illuminator File:Casio_image_small.jpg|Casio Edifice EFA-111D-7AV watch with 10-year battery life File:Casio_PRG60_Triple_Sensor_Watch.JPG|Casio PRG 60 AVER Triple Sensor Watch File:Casio Triple Sensor Pro Trek.jpg|Pro Trek Triple Sensor Watch File:Casio Solar Scaled.jpg|Casio "G-Shock" with "Tough Solar" watch File:Casio Tough Solar Wave Ceptor.jpg|Casio Tough Solar "Wave Ceptor" watch File:Casio400.jpg|Casio "Wave Ceptor" Radio-Synchronized Watch File:Casio vl tone.jpg| VL-Tone VL-1 File:Casio SK-1.jpg| Sampletone SK-1 File:Casiotone 201.jpg| Casiotone 201 File:Casio CZ-1.jpg| CZ-1 digital synthesizer File:Casio az1.jpg| AZ-1 keytar File:Casio PG-380 synth guitar.jpg| PG-380 MIDI Guitar File:CASIO DH-800.jpg| DH-800 Digital Horn File:Keyboard Casio.JPG| CTK-496 home keyboard File:Casio WK-200 details 1.jpg|WK-200 workstation keyboard File:Casio Privia PX-130.jpg| Privia PX-130 digital piano
- Tandy Corporation for the Zoomer PDA
ar: bn: ca:Casio cs:Casio da:Casio de:Casio el: es:Casio Computer Co., Ltd. eo:Casio fa: fr:Casio ko: id:Casio it:Casio ka:Casio nl:Casio ja: no:Casio pnb: pl:Casio pt:Casio ro:Casio ru:Casio simple:Casio sl:Casio fi:Casio sv:Casio th: tr:Casio uk:Casio vi:Casio zh: