Alliance Data Systems Corporation is a publicly traded, leading provider of loyalty and marketing solutions (such as private label credit cards, coalition loyalty programs, and direct marketing services) derived from the capture and analysis of transaction-rich data that provides insight into how and why consumers make certain purchases.
Alliance Data headquarters in Plano,TX Alliance Data headquarters in One Legacy Circle located at 7500 Dallas Parkway in Plano,TX
Alliance Data was formed from the December 2, 1996, merger of two entities: J.C. Penney's credit card processing unit and The Limited's credit card bank operation, named World Financial Network National Bank.
In August 1998, Alliance Data acquired LoyaltyOne, then-branded The Loyalty Group Canada, for $250 million. The deal gave Alliance Data two valuable business enhancements, Canada's Air Miles Rewards Program and the company behind the popular Air Miles program, LoyaltyOne.
On May 17, 2007, Alliance Data and The Blackstone Group (a private equity firm) announced plans for Alliance Data to be acquired by The Blackstone Group. In April 2008, Alliance Data terminated the merger agreement with Blackstone Affiliates.
Ed Heffernan was promoted to president and CEO of Alliance Data in February 2009, after being with the company since 1998.
Alliance Data Retail Services
Retail Services is a provider of integrated credit and marketing services including private label, co-brand and commercial credit card programs. Today, Alliance Data Retail Services manages nearly 90 card programs for leading retail brands such as Victoria s Secret, Ann Taylor, Eddie Bauer, Pottery Barn, Pac Sun and The Buckle.
In 2011, Alliance Data, in partnership with NICE Systems, was honored with the Operational Leadership Award for its customer care centers by Ventana Research.
LoyaltyOne, located in Canada, provides loyalty marketing programs for North American brands in the retail, financial services, grocery, petroleum, retail, travel, and hospitality industries.
Five businesses make up LoyaltyOne: AIR MILES Reward Program, in which approximately 2/3 of Canadian households participate in the national program; Colloquy; LoyaltyOne Consulting; Precima; and Direct Antidote.
Hewitt Associates named LoyaltyOne in their "2010 List of the 50 Best Employers in Canada."
Epsilon provides a broad range of loyalty marketing services spanning database marketing, direct mail, email marketing, Web development, loyalty programs, analytics, data services, and strategic consulting, among others.
Ad Age ranked Epsilon among their top marketing services firms and direct marketing agencies list for several years: in 2006, 2007, 2008, 2009 and 2010. It sends billions of email ads every year.
On March 30, 2011, Epsilon detected unauthorized access to its email database, resulting in the theft of email addresses of its clients' customers.
Company acquisitions and divestitures
- 1998: Air Miles was acquired by Alliance Data.
- 2002: Colloquy was acquired by Alliance Data.
- 2004: Epsilon was acquired by Alliance Data.
- 2005: Bigfoot Interactive was acquired by Alliance Data.
- 2006: DoubleClick Email Solutions, Inc. was acquired by Alliance Data.
- 2007: Abacus was acquired by Alliance Data.
- 2008: Heartland Payment Systems acquired Alliance Data's Network Services business.
- 2008: Vertex acquired Alliance Data s Utility Services business.
- 2009: Fujitsu America acquired Alliance Data's Information Technology Services Division.
- 2011: Aspen Marketing Services was acquired by Alliance Data (to be a part of Epsilon).
- 2012: Alliance Data acquired the $475 million private label credit card portfolio of the Bon-Ton Stores, Inc.