The 4th Airlift Squadron (4 AS) is part of the 62d Airlift Wing at McChord Air Force Base, Washington. It operates C-17 Globemaster III aircraft supporting the United States Air Force global reach mission world wide.
Provide services and support, which promote quality of life and project global power through combat-proven airlift and airdrop.
During World War II the 4th actions included airborne assaults on Sicily, Myitkyina, Burma, and on Southern France. It support of partisans in Northern Italy and the Balkans. It also conducted aerial transportation in Mediterranean Theater of Operations and, briefly, in China-Burma-India Theater. In all the 4th earned nine campaign ribbons during operations in both the European and China-Burma-India theaters in the Second World War.
When the Korean War broke out the 4th conducted aerial transportation from the U.S. to Japan, and subsequently between Japan and Korea in the period 1 December 1950-16 November 1951.
The 4th also airdropped heavy equipment and personnel during the invasion of Panama on 20 December 1989. It assisted in the evacuation of U.S. personnel from the Philippines following the June 1991 eruption of Mt. Pinatubo. Subsequently the 4th has conducted aerial delivery of rations to towns and villages in Afghanistan during Operation Enduring Freedom and conducted airlift operations worldwide in support of the Global War on Terrorism.
- 4th Provisional Transport Squadron (1935)
- 4th Transport Squadron (1935 1942)
- 4th Troop Carrier Squadron (1942 1948)
- 4th Troop Carrier Squadron, Medium (1948 1949)
- 4th Troop Carrier Squadron, Heavy (1949 1962)
- 4th Air Transport Squadron, Heavy (1962 1966)
- 4th Military Airlift Squadron (1966 1991)
- 4th Airlift Squadron (1991 Present)
- Rockwell Air Depot (1935 1937)
- 10th Transport Group (1937 1941)
- 62d Troop Carrier Group (1941 1945, 1946 1947)
- Attached: 64th Troop Carrier Group (April - June 1944)
- 62d Airlift Wing (1947 Present)
- Attached: 374th Troop Carrier Wing (December 1950)
- Attached: 6122d Air Base Group (December 1950 - January 1951)
- Attached: 315th Air Division (January - October 1951)
- Attached: Far East Air Force (October - November 1951)
- Rockwell Field, California (1935 1938)
- Sacramento, California (1938 1942)
- Kellogg Field, Michigan (1942)
- Florence, South Carolina (1942)
- RAF Keevil, England (1942)
- Algeria (1942, 1943)
- Casablanca, French Morocco (1942 1943)
- Goubrine Airfield, Tunisia (1943)
- Ponte Olivo Airfield, Sicily (1943 1944)
- C-27 Airbus (1935 1937)
- C-33 (1936 1941)
- C-39 (1938 1942)
- C-47 Skytrain (1942 1945)
- C-46 Commando (1946 1947)
- C-82 Packet (1947 1949)
- C-54 Skymaster (1949 1951)
- C-124 Globemaster II (1951 1969)
- C-141 Starlifter (1966 2000)
- C-17 Globemaster III (2000 Present)