Zarraffa's Coffee is a semi national coffee house chain located primarily in Queensland, Australia and with franchises in New South Wales.
Zarraffa's Coffee, established in 1996 by Kenton Campbell, was originally a roasting house operating from the backstreets of Southport on the Gold Coast. It opened its first store on the Gold Coast with three tables and nine chairs in 1996. Currently, the Zarraffa's Coffee group now has 50 stores from Banora Point in Northern NSW to Bargara, QLD.
Campbell, a seasoned coffee-cart owner from Seattle, Washington, was headhunted to Australia as a consultant in 1995. Relations with his employer soured and he ended up on the Gold Coast with his physiotherapist - now wife and mother of his three sons. In the first Zarraffa's Coffee outlet, financed with a $9,000 personal loan, which was located "in the middle of nowhere" - a ghost-town shopping arcade where the only attraction was low rent and a post office next door, became a favoured cafe spot, drawing a big enough crowd for Kenton to negotiate a better position in the arcade.
By the end of 2007, Zarraffa's had almost 35 stores, including its first Drive Thru.
By 2009 the company had 40 stores, including a second Drive Thru in Toowoomba and a North Queensland store at Rockhampton. Also in 2009 Kenton Campbell launched Ecoforce, a non-profit charitable foundation established to act as a framework to source and channel funding into necessary research; to investigate, in a highly transparent way pressing environmental and conservation issues.
In March 2010, acclaimed ABC show, Australian Story featured Kenton Campbell and his journey from an unfortunate childhood, to coffee entrepreneur and then conservationist.
- In 2010 Zarraffa's Coffee was ranked the 29th Fastest Growing Frannchise by BRW Fast Franchises (based on Revenue.
- In 2009 Zarraffa's Coffee received the Gold Coast Business Excellence Awards for July in the Wholesale and Retail Distribution category. Zarraffa's Coffee ranked was ranked the 20th Fastest Growing Frannchise by BRW Fast Franchises (based on Revenue)
- In 2008, Zarraffas's Coffee was elected and received the Gold Coast Business of the Year award.
- In 2008 Zarraffa's Coffee received the October Wholesale and Retail Distribution Award in the Gold Coast Business Excellence Awards
- In 2008 Zarraffa's Coffee won the following medals in the Equal Golden Bean Coffee Roaster Awards.
- In 2007 Zarraffa's Coffee won the following medals in the Equal Golden Bean Coffee Roaster Awards.
- In 2006 Zarraffa's Coffee won the Gold Coast Business Excellence Awards - Wholesale and Retail Distribution Award and the Bob Scott Encouragement Award.
↑ Zarraffas Coffee