Website leasing is an agreement between the user (lessee) and the owner (lessor) whereby the privilege of using a website is offered in exchange for regular payments. Website Rental is a similar concept, however often does not always require a fixed agreement.
The idea of website leasing or Rental is for a user to have a website promoting their products or services but not have any overall ownership of the site (in some cases the Domain name can be owned by the lessee or renter). Generally the website owner will charge a monthly or annual fee for this service.
Reasons for leasing a website
There are several reason why a business might rent a website instead of buying, for example:
- Leasing often requires only a small monthly fee instead of a large fee upfront when buying.
- New small business owners can benefit by saving capital.
- If a website is only needed for a short amount of time.
- Leasing a website is a great alternative to expensive website design fees.
- If one is unsure their business needs a website leasing is a way to test without paying for a full price site.
- The owner is responsible for the technical aspects and upkeep of the site.
- Changes and updates are often included in the monthly fee.
- There are also tax benefits of leasing a website.
Some companies that offer a website leasing or rental service also give the option for the user to buy the full rights to the site either after a certain amount of time (leasing) or at any time (rental).
Website leasing and rental companies may also offer Search engine optimization services as part of the leasing or rental package.