Walthamstow Village is an ancient nucleus of present day Walthamstow, located in North East London. Designated a Conservation Area by the London Borough of Waltham Forest in 1967, it centres around St. Mary's Church, which was founded in the 12th century. Across the road from this is a 15th century timber-framed "hall" house which locals have dubbed "The Ancient House". Nearby are almshouses dating from the 16th and 18th centuries, and "Vestry House", which has been used as a workhouse and police station, but has been a museum since 1931.
Orford Road, the ancient road leading up to St Mary's church, has in recent years developed as an attractive street of small restaurants, cafes and an upmarket local supermarket.
The area has been described by the London Metropolitan Police as 'a notably affluent area of the ward'.
Walthamstow Village, 1998, looking towards the timber-framed house with St. Mary's Church
in the background