Sudi (), is a panchayat town in the Gadag District of Karnataka, India. It is about 30 km from Badami, 12 km from Gajendragad and 3 km from Itagi Bhimambika temple. In the past it was a important town of the Kalyani Chalukyas during 1000 AD. It is famous for rare stone carved monuments like Twin towered temple, Mallikarjuna temple and nagakunda (large well built of stone and carvings), and few other structural temples. For long time these amazing structures were abandoned, but recently they caught the eye of the Indian Archaeological Department (ASI - Archaeological Survey of India).
Sudi belongs to the core area of Western Chalukya architectural activity in modern Karnataka (Perticularly North Karnataka).
Padevala Taila (son of Nagadeva), continued to serve under Satyasraya (succeeded his father Taila in 997 AD) and his mother Attiyabbe made a grant in 1005 A.D. Satyasraya had two daughters. Vradhamabbarasi and Akkadevi and one son Kundin (Kundiraja). Akkadevi was a good administrator and was governing some division during the time of Satyasraya and his successors. Kundiraja was placed in charge of divisions like Banavasi 12,000 and Santalige 1,000.
Akkadevi and Kundin, continued to govern ( dating October 8, 1013 AD) some provinces of the Chalukya Empire during the reign of Vikramaditya.
Sudi was the capital of the Kalyani Chalukyas in 1100 AD. Kalyani Chalukyas king's daughter Akkadevi ruled the place. There are also historical records indicating that coins were manufactured (mint) in this town during that time.
During Western Chalukyas (973 1189 south), The Alupas, a feudatory, minted coins with the Kannada and Nagari legend Sri Pandya Dhanamjaya. Lakkundi and Sudi in Gadag district were the main mints (Tankhashaley) . Their heaviest gold coin was Gadyanaka(weighting 96 grains), Dramma (weighted 65 grains), Kalanju (48 grains), Kasu (15 grains), Manjadi (2.5 grains), Akkam (1.25 grains) and Pana (9.6 grain).
Shaivism, Pasupata school
Shaivism gain importance and Jainism lost towards the closing years of the Chalukya rule. Shaivism was dominant, had several sects like Shaiva, Pasupata or Lakula, Kalamukha and Kapaliaka. The Pasupata school was important which had important centers at Balligavi, Sudi, Srisailam and other places.
The Cholas claim to have captured a large number of Chalukya feudatory princes with their women and sacked and have burnt Mannandippai. The Chalukya reverses are admitted in a Sudi inscription, dated in 1050 A.D., of the reign of Somesvara. It says that the 7 ministers granted the settis renewal of their corporate constitution ( which had partly broken down in the stress of the war with the Cholas).
The Chola king was killed at Koppam, but the Chalukyas were also pushed back from there by Rajendra. Soon after the Chalukyas raided Kanchi, the Chola capital, burnt the city and defeated the Cholas once again. A Sudi inscription (Thursday, January 20, 1060 AD), records that king Trailokyamalla was halting at his camp Puli, a town within Sindavadi division after having made a victorious expedition to the southern region and conquered the Chola.
Sudi has several stone temples built by Maha Samanthadhipati Naga Deva in 1100 AD. that have caught the attention of Karnataka State Archeological Department. Quite a few of these structures have been cleaned up. Besides age old structures there is also a tower (called Hude in native language) located in the center of the village. The richness of these temples can be viewed in the images posted here.
Twin Towered Shiva Temple
Twin Towered Temple at Sudi
Twin Towered, Two Vimana, Jodakalasa Temple
Later Chalukya monument, Before 1059-60, by Nageshwara by General Nagadeva administering Sudi.
Mallikarjuna Temple at Sudi
Mallikarjuna temple at Sudi is a later Chalukya (Kalyani Chalukyas) monument, 1054, Founded under princess Akkadevi Governor of Sudi
Naga Kunda (Well)
Naga Kunda (Well) at Sudi
Nagakunda literally means King cobra tank at Sudi is a beautifully carved (Inner wall) temple tank. This is most beautiful temple tank in the North Karnataka.
This is totally neglected by the people, ASI and Govt. of Karnataka.
There is need of immediate conservation work to protect this monument.
Other monuments at Sudi
Large Ganapati Statue Carved In Stone
Ishwara in a stone made shelter
Big Ishwara at Sudi
- Large Ganapati Statue
- Ishwara Linga in a stone made shelter
- Large Shiva linga
- Hude (Tower)
Nandi at Sudi
Hude (Tower) in Sudi
At Sudi you can notice so many other monuments like Large beautiful Ganapati Statue and Nandi statue in side mantapa, Large shiva linga etc.
Sudi is located at It has an average elevation of 586 metres (1922 feet). It is located adjacent to a 2 streams called Hirehalla and Doddahalla and has total area of the town is 5.3 square kilometres.
It is located 120 kilometres from Karnataka, 42 kilometres from Gadag and 450 kilometres from Bangalore, the state capital.
- Summer - March to June
- Spring - Jan to March
- Monsoons - July to October that contributes to rainfall
- Winter - November to Jan
The temperature ranges from minimum 23 degrees to 45 degrees during summer and from 15 to 29 degrees in winter. The rainfall of the area is 50 centimeters. Best time to visit is between low humid season from November and March.
The main economy is centered around agriculture.
It is a town in the Gadag District in Karnataka state, India.
The nearest airport is Hubli about 100 kilometres away. It is east of Hubli-Sholapur rail route, and the rail station (Mallapur) is 25 kilometres from the town. It is also connected by road to Hubli and Gadag. Sudi is reachable from Bangalore by a 12-hour bus ride, or with a combination of an overnight train journey from Bangalore to Ron followed by a short bus ride from Ron to Sudi.
India census, Sudi had a population of 6,000. Males constitute 51% of the population and females 49%. Sudi has an average literacy rate of 65%, higher than the national average of 59.5%; with 59% of the males and 41% of females literate. 14% of the population is under 6 years of age.
Sudi is full of stone temples, wells, and sculptures. People speak Kannada, Hindi and English. They wear traditional Indian cotton wear.
- Sudi Kalanelege kayakalpa, Dr. D. V. Devaraj, Director, Karnataka State Archeology, Mysore, publication in Sudha Magazine