Prem Chand Pandey is an Indian scientist and academic in the fields of Satellite Oceanography, Remote Sensing, Atmospheric Science, Antarctic and Climate Change.
Education and career
Pandey obtained his Masters and Bachelors degrees in Electronics and science respectively from Allahabad University, Allahabad. He completed his D.Phil. degree from the same university (on microwaves) in 1972.
In 1966, Pandey became a lecturer in DAV Degree college, Azamgarh. From 1968 to 1972 he was Council of Scientific and Industrial Research Research Fellow at the microwave research laboratory of the Department of Physics, University of Allahabad, and from 1973 to 1977 a research officer at the Central Water and Power Research Station, Khadakwasla. In 1977 he joined the Space Applications Centre(SAC)/ ISRO, Ahmedabad and became the founder head of the Oceanic Sciences Division/ Meteorology and Oceanography Group/ Remote Sensing Applications Area (OSD/ MOG/ RESA). He worked for the next twenty years at SAC. In the 1980s he was also a research associate at the NASA - Jet Propulsion Laboratory, Pasadena, where he worked on the Upper Atmosphere Research Satellite and SEASAT programs. During 1997-2005, he was the founding director of the National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research (NCAOR)/Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), Goa. He also founded the K. Banerjee Centre of Ocean and Atmosphere Studies (KBCAOS) to initiate the Atmospheric and Ocean Science Studies in Allahabad University.. He was Visiting Professor at Center for Ocean, River, Atmosphere and Land Sciences (CORAL), IIT Kharagpur (IIT-Kgp) since 2005 to 2007 and also he was an Emeritus Professor at IIT-Kgp's same center since 2007 to August, 2011. Currently he joined as a Professor at School of Earth, Ocean and Climate Sciences, IIT Bhubaneswar with effect from 1 September 2011.
Awards and recognitions
- The Rekha Nandi and Bhupesh Nandi Prize from the Institution of Engineers (India)
"The Rekha Nandi and Bhupesh Nandi Award-The Institute of Engineering (India), Kolkata". Dr. Pandey is recipient of The Rekha Nandi and Bhupesh Nandi Prize from the Institution of Engineers (India) during Prize Distribution ceremony of the 25th Indian Engineering Congress, Kochi, 17 December 2010.
- Felicitation by Shri Kapil Sibal, Honorable Minister for S/T and Ocean Development, for outstanding achievements in Polar Science & Ocean Science and Technology, on 27 July 2004, on DOD (MoES) foundation Day.
- An Honor of "Proud Past Alumni" in the list of 42 members, from "Allahabad University Alumni Association", NCR, Ghaziabad (Greater Noida) Chapter 2007-2008 registered under society act 1860 with registration no. 407/2000.
Membership in special national and international expert committees/ bodies (past/present)
- IIT Kharagpur Nominee : Ocean Atmospheric Science and Technology Cell of MoES 
- Advisory Board Member, Text Books for Higher Education : The Energy Research Institute, New Delhi 
- Member of the Working Group on Promotion of Radar Meteorology, in Kolkata : India Meteorological Department, New Delhi 
- Member, ISRO-CNES Joint Working Group : Indian Space Research Organisation, Bangalore 
- Chairman, National Advisory Committee, to set up School of Earth Ocean and Climate Sciences : Indian Institute of Technology Bhubaneswar 
- Member, Joint Scientific Working Group of SAC-ISRO, for SARAL Mission
- Chairman, Research Advisory Committee of Indian Institute of Tropical Meteorology (IITM), Pune
- Member, Governing Council, IITM, Pune.
- Honorary Professor, Goa University
- Member, Academic Council, Goa University (Governor s Nominee).
- Member : (Visitor s Nominee )Selection Committee for Earth Sciences in Pondicherry University (A Central University).
- Adjunct Professor at BITS (Goa Region) (up to 2007).
- Member, Special Advisory committee, School of Environmental Science Jawaharlal Nehru University (JNU), Delhi
- Chairman, National Academy of Sciences, India, Kharagpur local Chapter
- Member, Research Advisory Committee of Center of Atmospheric Sciences (CAS) of IIT Delhi.
- Member, Science & Engineering Research Council (SERC), Department of Science and Technology, New Delhi.
- Scientist Member, Governing Council of IITM, Pune.
- Member, Governing Council, Indian National Centre for Ocean Information Services (INCOIS), Hyderabad
- Member, Programme Advisory Committee on DST on Atmospheric Science/ Glaciology.
- Member, NNRMS Oceanography, Programme of ISRO.
- Vice Chairman of OSTC Cell of DOD at Mangalore/ Tamil University.
- Member, High Power Ministerial delegation led by Hon Shri Kapil Sibal to Antarctica.
- Delegate/ Member (International), in SCAR, CEP, ATCM, COMNAP/ SCALOP, ICSU, PGIPY-2007-08,
- Fellowship Award Committee of SCAR, U.K. (1997 2005)
- Member, ICSU/WMO committee for International Polar Year (IPY) framework documents preparation.
- Chairman, High Power Committee set up by Ministry of Earth Sciences (MoES), GOI to Review NCAOR S activities, 2008.
- Chairman, Indian Society of Remote Sensing, Ahmedabad Chapter (1994 96)
- Vice President, Indian Soc. of Remote Sensing, (2002 04)
- Vice President, India Meteorological Society (1991 93)
- Patron, Antarctic Society, Hyderabad
- President (sectional); Environmental Science Section, Indian Science Congress Association, 2006-7.
science congress web page say that Dr. Pandey was sectional President
- Also remained member of Executive Council of the Indian Geophysical Union (1991 1993).
Pandey has published more than 134 research papers, 7 books, 9 reports and 4 Atlases has guided 11 PhDs. He has also edited a number of journals like Marine Geodesy, Indian Journal of Polar Science, 2008 and the Remote Sensing section in Mausam, the quarterly research journal of India Meteorological Department. He has been a member of the editorial board of the Journal of the Indian Society of Remote Sensing Indian Journal of Radio & Space Physics (IJRSP), Indian Journal of Marine Science, India (1995 2000), Vayu Mandal, Bulletin of Indian Meteorological Society, (1995 1996), Proceedings of Indian Academics (Physical Sciences) and the Journal of Indian Society of Remote Sensing (2006).
Advances in Marine and Antarctic Science, with Dinabandhu Sahoo. APH Publishing, 2002. ISBN 81-7648-347-8. Excerpts
India in the Antarctic: Scientific and Geopolitical Perspectives, with Sanjay Chaturvedi, Neloy Khare, Centre for the Study of Geopolitics, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 2005. ISBN 81-7003-287-3.
Dharati Se Pare Antariksha Tak: Vigyan Ki Pahal, with Neloy Khare, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 2001.
Bharat Me Vigyan Ki Uplabdhiyan: Ek Jhalak, with Neloy Khare, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 2002.
Antarctic Geoscience, Ocean -Atmosphere interaction and Palaeoclimatology, with S. Rajan, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 2005.
Dharakata Mahadweep, with Neloy Khare and Rakesh Sharma, National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, India. 1998.
- Pandey, P.C. (2007) in "India: Antarctic Program", Encyclopedia of the Antarctic edited by Beau Riffenburgh, pp. 529–530, Abingdon and New York: Taylor & Francis, ISBN 0-415-97024-5.
Remote Sensing Applications to Coastal Oceanography, in Modelling and Monitoring of Coastal Marine Processes, with Rakumar, A K Verma, A K Mathur and Neera Chaturvedi, Antarctic Study Centre-National Centre for Antarctic and Ocean Research, Space Application Centre(ISRO), pp 45 55, Edited by C. R. Murthy, P. C. Sinha and Y. R. Rao, India. 2008. Springer Netherlands.ISBN 1-4020-8326-2.Excerpts