papaya CMS is a open source content management system, free of charge and complying with open standards like XML as data format, XSLT as templating language, and PHP for programming.
papaya CMS is a software build up from a very modular concept, to use it as framework for special applications beside the typical tasks of a content management system.
All texts, configuration data etc. will be stored in a relational database. Media files such as images and videos are located in the file system and will be managed by papaya and referenced as needed.
As many functions (such as database access, authentication, build methods for backend menus, etc.) are defined centrally and can be accessed through an abstraction layer.
papaya CMS is developed in PHP and object-oriented. Data is stored in XML, XSLT as template language is used. The system does not use self-developed or proprietary script or template languages.
Unlike many other CMS papaya CMS is characterized by the fact that it is available under the GPL on the one side. On the other side a company behind the product is available that provides support and training.
The clear separation of content, layout and formatting of XSL/XSLT can spend papaya accessible websites. All the possibilities of XHTML/HTML can be implemented also with papaya CMS - this is in the hands of the developer. So papaya is an option for accessibility.
Features and functions
- based on open technologies (PHP/XSLT/XML, MySQL and PostgreSQL)
- compatible with MySQL, PostgreSQL, SQLite
- strict separation of layout and logic by XSLT templates
- accessible pages no problem
- optimized for search engines
- intelligent caching system for pages and sub-content
- automatic scaling of images, flash files etc.
- picture browser for easy viewing
- separate user management for page authors and visitors
- work-flow mapping
- easily expandable with PHP classes
- versioning / staging
- automatic generation of sitemaps
- integrated messaging system
- creation of aliases ("short URLs")
- cronjobs to automate tasks
- logging of user actions and system messages
- Translation module for the backend to add more languages
- synchronous multi-language features for content and article types (each item can be present in as many languages as wanted)
- 100% unicode support
- Output filters (to output items as HTML and as an alternative as PDF or others)
- central task overview ("papaya Today"), in which all tasks, messages and unpublished articles, etc. are displayed
- Multi-Site features (Delivery of different webpage contents with customizable domain options (output formats, templates, desings, etc.) per domain / virtual host)
- multi-layered caching of page output (for XML-output of page modules, output of boxes, full pages and support for memcached servers and xslcache)
- operating on multiple servers (webcluster) or based on cloud computing infrastructure possible
- support for various database servers that are operated in a master-slave network or cluster. Separation of the databases for exclusive write access and other databases for read-only access is possible via the backend.
free GPL plugins
- Geo maps (to embed Google Maps, Yahoo Maps or OpenStreetMap)
- Asset Management / Media-database for images, videos and flash files Bilder, includes image editing and versioning
- Catalog module for virtual navigation structures (Navigation can be generated independently from the actual position of the article in the page tree, articles can thus be used identically in several places too)
- Rating / feedback opportunity for pages
- Dynamic creation of diagrams
- Recommend pages
- Comment pages
- Topics subscriptions (Users can subscribe to notifications about changes to the content)
- FAQ system
- Link database
- Event calendar
- Multi-page article