Nezar AlSayyad is Professor of Architecture, Planning, Urban Design and Urban History at the College of Environmental Design, University of California, Berkeley. He is the chair of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies; the director of the International Association for the Study of Traditional Environments (IASTE); and the editor of Traditional Dwellings and Settlements Review (TDSR).
- Cairo: Histories of a City. Harvard University Press: Cambridge, 2011.
- The Fundamentalist City? Co-editor with Mejgan Massoumi, Routledge: London, 2010.
- Cinematic Urbanism: A History of the Modern From Reel to Real, Routledge: London & New York, 2006.
- Making Cairo Medieval, co-editor with Irene Bierman and Nasser Rabbat, Lexington Books: Lanham & London, 2005.
- M sl man Avrupa ya da Avro-Islam, co-editor with Manuel Castells, Istanbul: Everest, 2004 (In Turkish).
- The End of Tradition? Editor, Routledge: London & New York, 2004.
- Urban Informality: Transnational Perspectives from the Middle East, Latin America and South Asia. Co-editor with Ananya Roy, Lexington Books: Lanham and London, 2004.
- Europa Musulmana O Euro-Islam Barcelona: Alianza Editorial/Ensayo, 2003 (In Spanish).
- Muslim Europe or Euro-Islam. Co-editor with Manuel Castells. Lexington Books: Lanham and London, 2002.
- Hybrid Urbanism: On the Identity Discourse and the Built Environment. Greenwood/Praeger: New York and Westport, 2001.
- Consuming Tradition/Manufacturing Heritage: Global Norms and Urban Forms in an Age of Tourism. Routledge: London, New York, 2001.
- Al Mudun fi Sadr al-Islam: The Early Cities of Islam. Beit Al-Quran: Bahrain, 1996 (in Arabic).
- Forms of Dominance: On the Architecture and Urbanism of the Colonial Enterprise, editor. Avebury: London and Aldershot, 1992.
- Cities and Caliphs: On the Genesis of Arab Muslim Urbanism. Greenwood Press: New York, Westport, and London, 1991.
- Dwellings, Settlements and Tradition, co-editor with Jean-Paul Bourdier. University Press of America: New York, Lanham, and London, 1989.
- The Design and Planning of Housing, editor. UPM Press: Dhahran & Houston, 1984.
- Streets of Islamic Cairo; A Configuration of Urban Themes and Patterns. Harvard University and Massachusetts Institute of Technology, AKP: Cambridge, 1981.