Michael J. Kestowicz is an American linguist specializing in phonetics and phonology and professor of linguistics at MIT Department of Linguistics and Philosophy. He is known for writing "Phonology in generative grammar" a coursebook taught across the world in phonology courses.
- 2011: A Note on Phonological Phrasing in South Kyungsang
- 2011: Vocale Incerta, Vocale Aperta A preliminary version of this paper was presented at the MIT Phonology Circle and the 40th Linguistic Symposium on Romance Languages, University of Washington (March 2010).
- 2010: Loanword Phonology and Enhancement. (with Kang, Young-Se et al.) eds. Lectures on Universal Grammar and Individual Languages. Seoul International Conference on Linguistics, pp. 104 112.
- 2009: Reverse Engineering: Emphatic Consonants and the Adaptation of Vowels in French Loanwords into Moroccan Arabic. (with Nabila Louriz). Brill s Annual of Afroasiatic Languages and Linguistics 1. 41 74.
- August 2009: On the Origin of Tonal Classes in Kinande Noun Stems. Studies in African Linguistics Volume 37, Number 2
- June 2009. Mandarin Loanwords in Yanbian Korean II: Tones. (with Chiyuki Ito). Language Research 45.1, 85-109.
- December 2008. Mandarin Adaptations of Coda Nasals in English Loanwords. (with Feng-fan Hsieh and Xiaomin Mou). To appear in Loan Phonology: Issues and Controversies ed. by Andrea Calabrese & Leo Wetzels, Benjamins. 2009.
- 2008. "Mandarin loanwords in Yanbian Korean 1: laryngeal features" (with Chiyuki Ito). Submitted to Phonological Studies 13, Linguistic Society of Japan.
- July 2008. Two Notes on Kinande Vowel Harmony. To appear in Language Sciences.
- March 2008. Hybrid Loans: a Study of English Loanwords Transmitted to Korean via Japanese. (with Yoonjung Kang and Chiyuki Ito).
- November 2007. Phonetic Knowledge in Tonal Adaptation: Mandarin and English Loanwords in Lhasa Tibetan. (with Feng-fan Hsieh)
- September 2007. Paradigmatic Uniformity and Contrast: Korean Liquid Stems. (with Hyangsook Sohn). To appear in Phonological Studies 2008 vol. 11, Phonological Society of Japan.
- January 2007. Contrasts, Mergers, and Acquisitions in Kyungsang Accent. (with Hyesun Cho and Jieun Kim). To appear in Toronto Working Papers in Linguistics.
- July 2006. Laryngeal features and tone in Kyungsang Korean: a phonetic study. (with Chiyoun Park). To appear in Studies in Phonetics, Phonology and Morphology.
- May 2006. The adaptation of Japanese loanwords into Korean. (with Chiyuki Ito and Yoonjung Kang). To appear in Studies in Loanword Phonology (MITWPL 52), edited by Feng-fan Hsieh and Michael Kenstowicz.
- 2005. The phonetics and phonology of Korean loanword adaptation. To appear in S-J. Rhee, ed. Proceedings of First European Conference on Korean Linguistics.
- 2005. Verbal tone in Buli: a morphosyntactic analysis. To appear in S. Kaji, ed. Cross-linguistic Study of Tonal Phenomena.
- 2004. Generative Phonology. To appear in Encyclopedia of language & Linguistics, 2nd Ed. Elsevier.
- 2004. Issues in loanword adaptation: a case study from Thai. (with Atiwong Suchato). Submitted to Lingua
- 2004. Tone loans. Paper from 78th LSA and 33rd ACAL.
- 2003. Tone in Buli. Studies in African Linguistics 31, 55-96 (with George Akanlig-Pare)
- 2003. Salience and similarity in loanword adaptation: a case study from Fijian. To appear in Language Sciences
- 2002. Statistical generalizations in the distribution of stress in Italian and Spanish verbs. (with Kie Zuraw)
- 1994. Two notes on Igbo vowels. (with Peter Ihiunu)
- Kenstowicz, Michael & Charles Kisseberth. 1979. Generative phonology. San Diego: Academic Press.
- 2003. Salience and Similarity in Loanword Adaptation: a Case Study from Fijian.
- (with Hyang-Sook Sohn) 2001. "Accentual Adaptation in North Kyungsang Korean", Ken Hale: A life in language, Michael Kenstowicz (ed.), MIT Press.
- 2001. "The role of perception in loanword phonology". To appear in Linguistique africaine.
- (with Elsa G mez-Imbert) 2000. "Barasana Tone and Accent", International Journal of American Linguistics 66, 419-63.
- 2000. "Paradigmatic uniformity and contrast". To appear in MIT Working Papers in Linguistics vol. xx
- (with Mahasen Abu-Mansour and Miklos Torkenczy) 2000. "Two notes on laryngeal licensing". To appear in Living on the Edge: Phonological Essays Commemorating the Radical Career of Jonathan Kaye, edited by Stefan Ploch and Geoff Williams.
- 1997. "Sonority Driven Stress"
- 1998. "Uniform Exponence: Exemplification and Extension"
- 1996. "Base-Identity and Uniform Exponence: Alternatives to Cyclicity"
- 1995. (with Thomas Green) "The Lapse Constraint"
- 1994. "Sonority-Driven Stress"
- 1994. "Syllabification in Chuckchee: a Constraint-based Analysis"
- 1989. Tone and accent in Kizigua a Bantu language. in P.M. Bertinetto & M. Loporcaro (eds). Certamem phonologicum: papers from the 1987 Cortona Phonology Meeting, pp. 177 188. Torino: Rosenberg and Sellier
- 1997. "Base identity and uniform exponence: alternatives to cyclicity." In J. Durand & B. Laks, eds., Current Trends in Phonology: Models and Methods. Salford: University of Salford, 363-394
- 1997. (with Hyang-Sook Sohn) "Focus and phrasing in Northern Kyungsang Korean." In P-M. Bertinetto, ed., Certamen Phonologicum III. Torino: Rosenberg & Sellier, 137-156, 1997. Also in MIT Working Papers in Linguistics 30, 25-47
- 1997. "Quality-sensitive stress." Rivista di Linguistica 9.1, 157-188
- 1997. "Uniform exponence: extension and exemplification." In V. Miglio & B. Moren, eds., Selected papers from the Hopkins Optimality Workshop 1997, University of Maryland Working papers in Linguistics 5, 139-54, Revised version to appear in Bolletino della Societa Linguistica Italiana.
- 1994. Phonology in Generative Grammar. Oxford: Blackwell Publications
- (with Degif Petros) "Reduplicative Identity in Chaha." Linguistic Inquiry 30, 573-586.
- "Paradigmatic uniformity and contrast." Submitted to MIT Working Papers in Linguistics 36