Search: in
Loch Thom
Loch Thom in Encyclopedia Encyclopedia
  Tutorials     Encyclopedia     Videos     Books     Software     DVDs  
       





Loch Thom

View from Hillside Hill down to compensation reservoir and Cormalees, with Loch Thom itself further back.

Compensation reservoir and Cut Centre at Cornalees, in front of Hillside Hill.
Compensation reservoir and Cut Centre at Cornalees, in front of Hillside Hill.
Near the start of The Cut, <!-- gbmapping -->, looking northwest towards Shielhill Farm and Dunrod Hill.
Near the start of The Cut, , looking northwest towards Shielhill Farm and Dunrod Hill.
Looking back along The Cut from Overton.
Looking back along The Cut from Overton.
Shaws Water Works compensation reservoir and water engineer's house at Overton.
Shaws Water Works compensation reservoir and water engineer's house at Overton.
Loch Thom is a reservoir which since 1827 has provided a water supply to the town of Greenock in Inverclyde, Scotland. It is named after the civil engineer Robert Thom who designed the scheme which created the reservoir and delivered water via a long aqueduct known as The Cut. Today, as well as providing a water supply, the loch is used for sport fishing and forms part of the Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park with several attractive walks and a centre at Cornalees Bridge providing nature study facilities.

Contents


Loch Thom

In the late 18th century Greenock was a rapidly expanding seaport with industries developing as the industrial revolution gathered pace. Its location on the north slopes of hills sweeping down to the south bank of the Firth of Clyde meant that several fast flowing streams provided supplies, and a number of wells provided clean water for domestic use. This was supplemented in 1773 by a piped water system designed by James Watt supplying some areas, but there was increasing demand for water powered mills.

On the far side of the hills to the south of the town a natural dip held a freshwater lake known as Shaws Water at a level high above the town. The civil engineer Robert Thom from Rothesay prepared a scheme to turn this into a reservoir and create the aqueduct which became known as The Cut. The Shaws Water Joint Stock Company was incorporated on 10 June 1825 with capital of 30,000, and the scheme was officially opened on 16 April 1827. On that day a grain mill, paper mill, power loom manufactory and a sugar refinery made use of the power from the water running north down to the sea for a vertical height of around 170 m, at a rate of about of water per day. In 1845 The Kelly Cut was constructed to bring more water to Loch Thom from the south. Numerous other mills were added in Greenock to make use of the supply, including what became The Merino Mills weaving woollen cloth, and a mill grinding clay for a local pottery works.

The loch is about 2.4 km from north to south, curving to the east in a rough C-shape, and is at an elevation of about 195 m above sea level. From the northern arm an outlet feeds southwest a short distance to a compensation reservoir at the centre of the "C", which then connects at Cornalees Bridge to the start of The Cut. The water supply proved inadequate for growing domestic demand, and in 1872 another reservoir was created immediately to the east of Loch Thom at Gryffe Reservoir. Together with thirteen smaller reservoirs nearby they provide almost 650,000,000 cubic feet (18,000,000 m ) of water supply in total

Greenock Cut Centre

Loch Thom forms part of Clyde Muirshiel Regional Park, a public organisation aimed at providing countryside access and education. Several nature trails are provided, and the Greenock Cut Centre adjacent to Cornalees Bridge provides educational facilities at a ranger base, along with car parking, refreshments and public toilets.

Location:

The Cut

From Cornalees Bridge The Cut runs west then turns northward following along the contour of Dunrod Hill which it follows round until running eastwards directly above the town of Greenock at Overton, having come a distance of . On the way it collects some of the water from streams that cross its path, and a series of sluice gates incorporated an ingenious automatic way of releasing surplus water.

From its opening the nearly level footpath formed on the embankment to the downhill side of the aqueduct proved a great attraction. and "walking the Cut" continues to be popular.

Literature

The poet W. S. Graham's later work powerfully evokes his childhood in and around Greenock. In "Loch Thom", included in Implements in their Places, published in 1977, the loch becomes the focus of his memories:

The curlew's cry travelling still

Kills me fairly. In front of me
The grouse flurry and settle. GOBACK
GOBACK GOBACK FAREWELL LOCH THOM.

[1]

References

  1. Graham, W.S. (2004) New Collected Poems, Faber.

External links

nn:Loch Thom ru: -






Source: Wikipedia | The above article is available under the GNU FDL. | Edit this article



Search for Loch Thom in Tutorials
Search for Loch Thom in Encyclopedia
Search for Loch Thom in Videos
Search for Loch Thom in Books
Search for Loch Thom in Software
Search for Loch Thom in DVDs
Search for Loch Thom in Store




Advertisement




Loch Thom in Encyclopedia
Loch_Thom top Loch_Thom

Home - Add TutorGig to Your Site - Disclaimer

©2011-2013 TutorGig.info All Rights Reserved. Privacy Statement