The Greenock Telegraph is a local daily newspaper serving Inverclyde (the council area containing the towns of Gourock, Greenock and Port Glasgow), Scotland.
Founded in 1857, it was the first halfpenny daily newspaper in Britain. It was for a time Greenock Telegraph and Clyde Shipping Gazette, owing to the massive amount of maritime traffic moving in and out of Greenock's harbours. This information is still published, but only as a column entry.
Originally based in Charles Street, Greenock, the printing works were bombed during the Greenock Blitz in May 1941. However the printers worked on to produce emergency editions, despite sustaining multiple cuts from the shattered glass lodged in the presses.
It is known locally as The Tele (although this is pronounced Tilly). Several features such as Viator (Latin for traveller) have formed part of the Telegraph for decades. Although it concerns itself primarily with news from Inverclyde, West Renfrewshire and North Ayrshire it occasionally runs national stories on its front and inner pages.
The paper has been printed at its current location in Crawfurd Street in Greenock since the 1960s. Long published by Orr, Pollock & Co., it is now published by Clyde & Forth Press, who own a range of local titles in Central Scotland and a few titles in the south of England.
The current Managing Editor is Tom McConigley.http://www.greenocktelegraph.co.uk/aboutus/