Fremont is an unincorporated community in western Carter County, Missouri, United States. It is located on U.S. Route 60 about ten miles west of Van Buren. The community was founded in about 1887 and was named for its founder, A. J. Freeman; the suffix -mont meaning "mountain" is appropriate to this Ozarks community.
About the only remnants of the towns industry are the railroad embankments. "Ties" and other uses of lumber fuelled the town through the turn of the Twentieth Century.
An iron smelter was built about five miles north of town and the community of Midco was created. After the need for iron diminished, the community dissolved leaving only the smelter's smokestack as a reminder of the town's existence.
The school and about one third of the town was devastated by a tornado in the spring of 1957. The damage to the school was repaired and later a gymnasium was added.
The school was incorporated with Van Buren but kept its own mascot, the Fremont Indians. It was later used as a Middle School for grades 6-8. During the late 80's the cost of transportation forced the school district to close the school.
ar: es:Fremont (Misuri) vo:Fremont (Missouri)