Create Synchronicity is a portable, multilingual file synchronization and backup tool developed in VB.Net, and released under the GNU General Public License, version 3.0.
Create Synchronicity was created with the aim of delivering a lightweight backup application for Windows systems. Its development started in June 2009, and has been active since then. An experimental port to Linux was published in February 2011.
Create Synchronicity has both a graphical and a command line interface.
The following features are available:
- Customizable backup, using distinct backup profiles.
- Full synchronization preview
- Scheduling, with catching up support.
- Inclusion and exclusion of files and folders using regular expressions
- DST correction, loose timing (allows file times between source and destination to differ by a few seconds)
- Precise folder selection
- Native support for UNC and relative paths, as well as implicit paths (such as "MyUsb"\MyFolder)
- Support for environment variables, dynamic destination naming
- Support for Network (NAS) Backup
Create Synchronicity can be downloaded as a zip file or as an installer for Windows 2000, Windows XP, Windows Vista, and Windows 7. It is hosted by Sourceforge, and ranked #32 on December 23, 2010.
Create Synchronicity uses its own comparison algorithm to speed up the preview step, which reduces disk accesses, and has been said to be "Easy to use, lightweight and fast.".
However, since it uses the .Net Framework, Create Synchronicity may be slower to launch than native applications (written for example in C/C++), but similar to applications written in Java. Provided that disk accesses are the slowest part of the scan and backup process, the impact of choosing VB.Net on performance should be minimal.
Being written in VB.Net, Create Synchronicity does take advantage of the file caching functions of the underlying operating system, which can speed the preview step. However, this performance gain doesn't exist if synchronizing two external hard drives, and/or if the caching process has not run yet.
Create Synchronicity has been translated to English, French, German, Portuguese, Italian, Spanish, Swedish, Dutch, Czech, Indonesian, Hebrew, Danish, Russian, Estonian, Polish, Bulgarian, Korean, Chinese (Simplified), Hungarian, Chinese (Traditional), Amharic, Greek, Turkish, Japanese, and Slovene.
- File synchronization
- List of backup software