Berwyn is a village in northwestern Alberta, Canada. It is located approximately west of the Town of Peace River, southwest of the Town of Grimshaw, and northeast of the Duncan's First Nation reserve.
Berwyn is the seat of the Municipal District of Peace No. 135.
In the 2011 Census, the Village of Berwyn had a population of 526 living in 225 of its 252 total dwellings, a 1.9% change from its 2006 population of 516. With a land area of , it had a population density of in 2011.
The population of the Village of Berwyn according to its 2007 municipal census is 561.
According to the 2006 census, Berwyn had:
- a population of 516 living in 229 dwellings, a -5.5% increase from 2001;
- an area of ; and
- a population density of 310.7 inhabitants per square kilometer.
In the 2006 census, the median age in Berwyn was 43, significantly higher than the 35.2 in nearby Grimshaw and 32.2 in the Town of Peace River. The provincial median age was 36.
Lloyd Garrison School is the only school located in Berwyn. It is an elementary to junior high public institution administered by the Peace River School Division (PRSD). Senior high students are bussed to either Grimshaw or Peace River. Separate school students are also bussed from Berwyn to Grimshaw. In the 2009/10 school year, junior high enrolment at the school dropped to a total of 25 students, which triggered the PRSD to initiate a low enrolment review.
Post-secondary education is available at Northern Lakes College in the Peace River Campus and Fairview Campus of Grande Prairie Regional College in the Town of Fairview.
Regional planning services, Mackenzie Municipal Services Agency and regional tourism services, Mighty Peace Tourist Association are both located in downtown Berwyn. M.D of Peace No. 135 also has its municipal offices in Berwyn.
Heath care for residents of Berwyn is provided for by Grimshaw Berwyn & District Community Health Centre in Grimshaw. The Peace River Community Health Centre is also within a short driving distance.
- Tower Park Recreational Area: has nature & cross country ski trails, camping stalls, picnic areas, 2 tennis courts, 3 baseball diamonds and bird watching areas.
- Queen Elizabeth Provincial Park: Locatted 15 km northeast of Berwyn, the park has 56 Camping stalls, water skiing, boating and picnicking.
- Lac Cardinal Recreation Area: Located 11 km north of Berwyn, Lac Cardinal offers the Bear Lake Recreation area and Rodeo Grounds.
- Berwyn Arena: offers skating, hockey and meeting facilities.
- Peace Valley Guest Ranch: offers outdoor adventure including river cruise, trail riding, hiking, mini golf and bird watching.
- Alberta Pond Hockey Championships in February at Lac Cardinal
- Volunteer Week Celebrations in April
- Senior Citizens Week Celebrations in June
- Annual Christmas Parade in December
- New Year's Eve Family Celebration in December
It is the birthplace of Marco Marra, a genomics expert, and Alex Debogorski of the television show Ice Road Truckers.
- List of communities in Alberta
- List of villages in Alberta