The Astra C was a 1912 French single engine biplane, manufactured by Soci t Astra at Villacoublay. In 1913, the Astra CM Hydro-avion three-seat floatplane version was used to make the world's first scheduled passenger-carrying flights.
Design and development
The Astra C was initially designed as a single seat biplane, powered by a single 50hp Renault engine in tractor configuration. It was constructed primarily as wooden framework sections, covered in canvas and wire-braced. The fuselage was of triangular cross section, with a wheeled main undercarriage plus nose skid and tail skid. The wings were of unequal span, and employed wing-warping for roll control.
The Astra CM was developed from the Astra C, with a more powerful engine and added accommodation for two observers, for military reconnaissance.
The Astra CM 'Hydro-avion' (seaplane) was a further development in 1913, with a 100hp engine and twin floats that replaced the wheels and skids. The wooden frame elements were largely replaced by steel tubes, and the wing ribs and floats were the principal remaining wooden components.
On 22 March 1913, using at least one Astra CM Hydro-avion, French operator Compagnie G n rale Transa rienne started the world's first scheduled passenger-carrying flights, operating from Cannes to Nice. Two passengers could be carried. On 29 March 1913, the service was extended to Monte Carlo.
- Astra C
- Civil version.
- Astra CM
- Military version.
- Astra CM Hydro-avion
- Floatplane version of the Astra CM.
- Compagnie G n rale Transa rienne
Royal Hellenic Navy
- Hellenic Naval Air Service
Specifications (Astra CM)