39th ATS Douglas C-133A-5-DL Cargomaster 54-142 The 39th Military Airlift Squadron is an inactive United States Air Force unit. Its last was assigned to the 436th Military Airlift Wing, Military Airlift Command, stationed at Dover Air Force Base, Delaware. It was inactivated on 31 March 1971.
Activated in 1942 to ferry newly-manufactured combat aircraft to combat units deployed overseas. Primarily flew B-25 and B-26 medium bombers to Southwest Pacific Area, however also ferried aircraft to Africa for units assigned to the North African Campaign and European Theater of Operations. Inactivated in October 1943 during realignment of Ferrying Command to Air Transport Command.
Reactivated in 1954 under Military Air Transport Service (MATS), operated C-124 Globemaster II aircraft on a worldwide scale from Dover AFB, Delaware. Upgraded to C-133A Cargomaster heavy-lift strategic transports in 1957, and continued global strategic airlift operations. Reassigned to Military Airlift Command (MAC) in 1966 after inactivation of MATS, continued operations until retirement of C-133s in 1971 then inactivated.
- Established as 39th Ferrying Squadron and activated on 9 July 1942
- Redesignated as 39th Transport Squadron on 24 March 1943
- Inactivated on 18 October 1943
- Disbanded on 8 October 1948
- Reconstituted, and redesignated as 39th Transport Squadron on 4 November 1953
- Redesignated as 39th Air Transport Squadron, Medium on 4 November 1953
- Activated on 16 February 1954
- Redesignated as 39th Air Transport Squadron, Heavy on 8 September 1957
- Redesignated as 39th Military Airlift Squadron on 6 January 1966
- Inactivated on 31 March 1971
- 27th Army Air Forces Ferrying Wing, 19 Jun 1942
- Caribbean Wing, Air Transport Command, 1 Jul 1942-18 October 1943
- Elements attached to Pacific Wing, Air Transport Command entire period
- Morrision Field, Florida, 8 July 1942-18 October 1943
Dover AFB, Delaware, 16 February 1954-31 March 1971
- Primarily ferrying B-25 Mitchell and B-26 Marauder, 1942-1943.
- C-124 Globemaster II, 1954-1957
- C-133 Cargomaster, 1957-1971
- Maj J.B.L. Levesque, 1 July 1957-2 Sept 1957
- Maj Alvin Moore Jr., 3 Sept 1957-23 Mar 1958
- LtCol John K. Thompson, 24 Mar 1958-3 Jan 1960
- LtCol Walter F. Derck, 4 Jan 1960-16 Mar 1961
- Maj Henry J. Wurster, 17 Mar 1961-5 Nov 1961
- LtCol Alex H. Gay Jr, 6 Nov 1961-14 Mar 1962
- LtCol Henry J. Wurster, 15 Mar 1962-15 Aug 1967
- LtCol Rayvon Burleson, 16 Aug 1967-14 May 1968
- LtCol George M. Conner, 15 May 1968-15 Jan 1970
- LtCol Donald V. Flanders, 16 Jan 1970-31 Mar 1971