Search: in
Lesene in Encyclopedia Encyclopedia
  Tutorials     Encyclopedia     Videos     Books     Software     DVDs  
Encyclopedia results for Lesene


Encyclopedia results for Lesene

  1. Lesene

    File Lisene1.jpg thumb Lisenes, corner lisenes and arch frieze on the tower of Old St. Martin, Kaarst A lesene is an architectural term for a narrow, low relief, vertical pillar in a wall. It resembles a pilaster , but does not have a base or Capital architecture capital . ref Curl, James Stevens 2006 . Oxford Dictionary of Architecture and Landscape Architecture , 2nd ed., OUP, Oxford and New York, p. 442. ISBN 978 0 19 860678 9. ref Function Lesenes are used in architecture to divide a facade or other wall surface optically, albeit unlike pilasters without a base or capital. Their function is ornamental, not just to decorate the plain surface of a wall but, in the case of corner lesenes, to emphasise the edges of a building. Gallery gallery File Lisene2.jpg Lisenes and corbel table on a chapel wall File Lisene Ravenna.jpg Lisenes and corbel table at the Mausoleum of Galla Placidia in Ravenna ca. 430 A.  D. File Gernrode Lisene.jpg Lisene on the staircase tower of the St. Cyriakus Church, Gernrode Gernrode collegiate church before 1000 A.D. File Maria Laach.jpg Lisenes on the Maria Laach Abbey Abbey church of Maria Laach 1156 gallery gallery caption Modern and post modern File Smithsons photo Robin hood gardens London UK 2005 07 21.jpg Robin Hood Gardens , London  Lisene shaped formation on the supporting wall in the Plattenbau style File Hamburg.Chilehaus.Fassade.standard.wmt.jpg Lisenes at Chile House, Hamburg gallery References Reflist Category Architectural elements be , be x old ca Lesena cs Liz na da Lisen de Lisene es Lesena eu Lesena fr L s ne fy Liseen it Lesena hu Fals v nl Liseen no Lisene pl Lizena pt Lesena ru sv Lisen uk vls Lisene ...   more details

  1. Santa Maria del Regno

    image Ardara 1.jpg thumb 250px Fa ade. Santa Maria del Regno is a Romanesque architecture Romanesque church in Ardara , province of Sassari , Sardinia , Italy . History The church, together with the annexed castle of which ruins remain today, was built in the 11th century by Giorgia, daughter of the Giudice of Torres , as a Palace Chapel. The church is mentioned in the Libellus Judicum Turritanorum of the 13th century. Overview The church was built in dark basalt stone by history of Pisa Pisan workers the island in the Middle Ages was under strong influence from the maritime Republic of Pisa . The fa ade is divided into five sectors and has a salient shaped fa ade. In the middle is the portal, surmounted by a double mullioned window . The whole exterior of the edifice is characterized by false columns lesene s and Lombard band s on the right are the remains of the square bell tower, which is missing the upper part. The interior, on a rectangular plan, has a nave and two aisles divided by columns whose capitals have flower motifs. The nave has a wooden truss es ceiling, while the aisles are groin vault ed. In the semi circular apse is the large retablo , the largest 16th century polyptych in Sardinia, ref http index.php?xsl 76&s 1597&v 2&c 2411&t 1 URL visited on January 24, 2009 ref located behind the high altar. The table portrays several prohets and saints, as well as episodes in the life of the Virgin Mary . In the middle, within a niche, is the wooden statue of Nostra Signora del Regno , a Madonna with Child wearing royal symbols. The polyptych is dated 1515. The church s columns have 17th century paintings with Apostles and other Saints, while also present is a lesser retablo from the same school, a carved wooden pulpit and an Epigraph literature epigraph celebrating the consecration of the church on May 7, 1107. References reflist cite book first Roberto last Coroneo title Architettura Romanica dalla met del Mille al primo 300 location ...   more details

  1. Brandenburg Gate (Potsdam)

    File Potsdam brandenburger tor.jpg thumb Brandenburg Gate from the field side File Potsdam brandenburger tor stadtseite.jpg thumb Brandenburg Gate from the city side The Brandenburg Gate lang de Brandenburger Tor on the Luisenplatz Potsdam Luisenplatz in Potsdam , not to be confused with the Brandenburg Gate gate of the same name on Berlin s Pariser Platz , was built in 1770 71 by Carl von Gontard and Georg Christian Unger by order of Frederick II of Prussia . It stands at the western end of Brandenburger Stra e , which runs in a straight line up to the Church of St. Peter and St. Paul, Potsdam St.  Peter and St. Paul . Previously, from 1733, there was another, simpler gate on the same spot, which resembled a castle gateway. Together with the city wall, a form of toll or excise barrier, and the other gates it was intended to prevent desertion and smuggling. Towards the end of the Seven Years War , Frederick the Great had the old gate demolished and built, in its stead, this new Brandenburg Gate, as a symbol of his victory. For that reason the Brandenburg Gate resembles a Roman triumphal arch . Its prototype was the Arch of Constantine in Rome . The Roman influence of its architectural style can be seen, for example, in the double columns of Corinthian order as well as the design of the attic architecture attic . A feature of the Brandenburg Gate is that it has two completely different sides, designed by two architects. Carl von Gontard designed the city side, his pupil, Georg Christian Unger, the field or countryside facing side. Gontard made the city side as a rendered facade with Corinthian style lesene s and trophies, Unger designed the field site in the style of the Arch of Constantine with Corinthian double columns and ornamentation like the golden trumpets. The two side entrances for pedestrians were not added until 1843, under Frederick William  IV , in order to cope with the increase in pedestrian traffic. At that time people had to pass the Brandenb ...   more details

  1. Bosa Cathedral

    coord 40.295278 N 8.503889 E type landmark display title File Bosa Dom5.jpg thumb 250px Cathedral Bosa Cathedral , dedicated to the Immaculate Conception lang it Concattedrale dell Immacolata Concezione di Bosa , is a Roman Catholic co cathedral of the Diocese of Alghero Bosa , located in Bosa , Sardinia , Italy . Before the creation of the new merged diocese in 1986 it was the seat of the Bishop of Bosa . The cathedral stands in the historical town centre of Bosa, between the Corso Vittorio Emanuele II and the Temo river River Temo , at the height of the 19th century bridge. History The origins of the cathedral lie in the 12th century, but the building has been substantially altered many times, particularly during the 15th century. The present building is the product of restorations carried out from 1803 onwards by the local architect Salvatore Are. The cathedral was re consecrated in 1809. The decorations and furnishings were completed during the rest of the 19th century. Description Externally the building is characterized by two cupola s covered in tiles of coloured Maiolica majolica , and by the squat bell tower in red sandstone , uncompleted, carved with the date 1683. The same stone also characterizes other parts of the building, including the Rococo decorations of the fa ade with its distinctive lesene s applied stone strips or false pilasters and cornices. The interior has a single nave with a barrel vaulted roof subdivided into five spans by pilasters and arches, with four side chapels. The first chapel to the right is the great chapel cappellone of the Sacred Heart , very elongated and arranged like a miniature church in itself, mirroring the cathedral in which it is set the end part contains four little side chapels and a larger chapel under an octagonal cupola. The archway leading to the Presbytery architecture presbytery is narrower than the nave and flanked by two pilasters. The presbytery itself, which is very deep, is covered by an octagonal cupola ...   more details

  1. Pescara Cathedral

    sub division into three aisles, indicated on the outside by lesene s applied strips . Adjoining ...   more details

  1. Reinberg village church

    File Reinberg bei Greifswald, Dorfkirche Ansicht 2008 07 29 .JPG thumb upright 1.4 View of the village church in Reinberg The Reinberg village church lang de Dorfkirche Reinberg is a Church building church dating to the 13th century in the West Pomerania n village of Reinberg Sundhagen Reinberg in the municipality of Sundhagen in northeast Germany. History Construction on the church began in the mid 13th century. The chancel was built first and the nave was added in the first half of the 14th century. At the end of the 14th century and beginning of the 15th, the tower in front of the west wall was built. The sacristy on the north wall of the chancel dates to the 15th century. Exterior The building is a triple aisle d brick church. The double bay architecture bay hall has a set back, single bay chancel made of fieldstone s. The chancel is decorated by a round arched, corbel frieze that runs all around it. On the west side is a square church tower made of brick. The brick gable on the east side has a staggered group of three windows, a staggered ogive ogival window and an ascending round arch frieze. The main body of the church has lesene s on the corners and buttress es on the side walls. Immediately next to the church stands the Reinberg Lime , which is estimated to be about 1,000 years and is therefore probably older than the church itself.. Also in the churchyard is an atonement stone, the S hnestein dating to the mid 15th century. Der Stein ist knapp 60cm breit und 2,20 m hoch und erinnert an Hayno van der Barke, der einem Totschlag zum Opfer fiel. Der Get tete ist links unten auf dem Stein abgebildet, in der Mitte Christus am Kreuz mit Sonne und Mond und dar ber im oberen kreisf rmigen Teil ein Eisernes Kreuz. Die Figur des Get teten fleht zum Heiland mit den Worten miserari mei do mino Herr, erbarme dich meiner . Um das Eiserne Kreuz besagt ein Schriftband orate pro hayno von der beken Betet f r Hayno von der Beken . Zu der mit dem Stein ges hnten Tat gibt es v ...   more details

  1. Palazzo Thiene

    Infobox World Heritage Site Name City of Vicenza and the Palladian Villas of the Veneto Image File PalazzoThiene20070705 02.jpg 250px Palazzo Thiene in Vicenza imagecaption State Party Type Architectural Criteria C i ii ID 712 Link http en list 712 Region Europe and North America Coordinates Year 1994 Session Extension Danger Palazzo Thiene ref This Palazzo Thiene is not to be confused with Palazzo Thiene Bonin Longare also in Vicenza ref is a 15th 16th century palace in Vicenza , northern Italy , designed for Marcantonio and Adriano House of Thiene Thiene , probably by Giulio Romano , in 1542, ref Andrew Hopkins, 2002. Italian Architecture from Michelangelo to Borromini p. 21. ref and revised during construction from 1544 by Andrea Palladio . In 1994 the palace was included in the Vicenza, city of Palladio World Heritage Site by UNESCO . In 1996 the World Heritage Site was renamed City of Vicenza and the Palladian Villas of the Veneto , and it was expanded to include outlying villas one of which is the Thiene brothers country home, the Villa Thiene . The palace is used as the historic headquarters of a bank and it also hosts some exhibitions and culture events. History The original Gothic palace was committed by Lodovico House of Thiene Thiene to Lorenzo da Bologna in 1490 , with an East front on contr Porti made of bricks squared by angular lesene s worked at diamond edge , with a portal by Tommaso da Lugano and a triple window trifora made in rose marble. In October 1542 Marcantonio and Adriano Thiene began to remodel their 15th century Quattrocento family palace in a grandiose project, which would have occupied an entire city block of 54 x 62 metres and faced onto Vicenza s principal artery today s Corso Palladio . File Palazzo Thiene Quattro Libri.jpg thumb left Floor plan and section by Palladio, from I quattro libri dell architettura , Venice 1570 File PalazzoThiene20070705 01.jpg 240px thumb The Gothic facade of the palace, facing on Contra P ...   more details

  1. Albert Shaw Lectures on Diplomatic History

    Press, 1942 . ref 1942 Wilfred H. Callcott ref Henry H. Lesene, A History of the University ...   more details

  1. St Mark's Church, Blackburn

    67. ref It is built in stone. ref name images The exterior is divided into a grid pattern by lesene ...   more details

  1. Harlem Arts Community Center

    Joseph, Jacob Lawrence , Norman Lewis , Claude McKay , James Lesene Wells, and Richard Wright . ref ...   more details

  1. Ese Kapi Mosque

    side of a surviving wall is divided with Lesene s surmounted by arches. ref name mw119 Most likely ...   more details

  1. Toklu Dede Mosque

    with rows of red brick s. The external wall were divided with half pillars and with lesene ...   more details

  1. Quartermaster General of the United States Army

    . MG B. Frank Cheatham January 3, 1926 January 17, 1930 28. MG John L. DeWitt File John Lesene Dewitt ...   more details

  1. Casa Wiechers-Villaronga

    by two rusticated pilaster s and divided into three bays, by two pilaster strips or lesene s. Each bay ...   more details

  1. John L. DeWitt

    Infobox military person name John Lesesne DeWitt birth date birth date 1880 1 9 death date death date and age 1962 6 20 1880 1 9 birth place Fort Sidney, Nebraska death place Washington, D.C. placeofburial Arlington National Cemetery placeofburial label Place of burial image File John Lesene Dewitt copy.PNG 200px caption LTG John L. DeWitt nickname allegiance United States United States of America branch United States Army serviceyears 1898 1947 rank File US O10 insignia.svg 35px General United States General commands Quartermaster General of the U.S. Army Commandant of the Army War College Fourth United States Army Fourth U.S. Army , Commanding General Western Defense Command , Commanding General Commandant of the Army and Navy Staff College battles World War I , World War II awards Distinguished Service Medal United States Distinguished Service Medal John Lesesne DeWitt January 9, 1880 June 20, 1962 was a General United States general in the United States Army , best known for his vocal support of the Japanese American internment internment of Japanese Americans during World War II . He first opposed wholesale internment, rather only individuals that were deemed disloyal. General DeWitt recommended to President Roosevelt the evacuation of all Japanese Americans from the coastal areas of California, Oregon and the state of Washington. President Roosevelt agreed with the General DeWitt recommendation and issued Executive Order 9066 , ordering the evacuation. General DeWitt interpreted Executive Order 9066 as interning all people of Japanese ancestry living in America. The president s executive order affected 110,000 Japanese men, women and children. Seventy five percent of the affected Japanese Americans were American born citizens. Although the removal of the Japanese Americans was technically called an evacuation, it turned out to be internment in detention camps, euphemistically called resettlement camps. In the course of carrying out the policy, he issued milita ...   more details

  1. Architecture of England

    of two or three divided by squat columns. The commonest form of external decoration is lesene ...   more details

  1. Freiburg Central Station

    was reached through one of seven arches, which extended between two wings and were formed with lesene ...   more details

  1. List of United States Army four-star generals

    Killed in action. valign top sort dewitt John L. DeWitt File John Lesene Dewitt copy.PNG 75px align ...   more details

Articles 1 - 18 of 18         

Search   in  
Search for Lesene in Tutorials
Search for Lesene in Encyclopedia
Search for Lesene in Videos
Search for Lesene in Books
Search for Lesene in Software
Search for Lesene in DVDs
Search for Lesene in Store


Lesene in Encyclopedia
Lesene top Lesene

Home - Add TutorGig to Your Site - Disclaimer

©2011-2013 All Rights Reserved. Privacy Statement